Saturday, May 17, 2008

Forged Impressions of Iron Man


OK, so I am a fanboy, let's get that out up front. I was an avid Marvel Comics reader from 1977-1987 and was addicted to X-Men, Spiderman, The Fantastic Four, and Iron Man. Plus, I love the work of Jon Favreau, starting with Swingers and up to The Sopranos. Still, I am not automatically going to love comic book adaptations. The third installments of Spiderman and X-Men were lame, as were both Fantastic Four films and Daredevil. So I guess that I tend to go about 50/50 on comic book adaptations.

Iron Man mostly did not disappoint. I was annoyed at the telegraphing of the "twist" villain in the first 10 minutes and the completely subtlety-free product placements (for Burger King in particular), but otherwise I was totally enjoying the ride. Robert Downey, Jr. was perfectly cast as the brilliant playboy alcoholic Tony Stark, and the origin story was right on. I am excited to hear where they take this in the inevitable sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment