I agonized over the choice between the EVo and iPhone 4. It came down to the following:
- iPhone's lack of support for Google Services-In particular, the rejection of the Google Voice app for the iPhone really irked me last year.
- The iPhone 4 just didn't wow me that much. Yes, it is a snazzy piece of hardware, but I'm not swayed by sexy, because I know that today's sexy phone is tomorrow's clunky beast.
- Sprint EVO's availability on a carrier other than AT&T
- EVO equation: 4G+1GHz Snapdragon processor=FAST!
- The Sprint EVO can serve as a WIFI hotspot (for an extra fee) for multiple devices. That's awesome! The next generation iPhone has tethering 'capability' for a single device but AT&T doesn't offer it yet.
- I'm a tinkerer. I don't mind messing around with a phone. If I were recommending a smartphone to my wife or mother, I would tell them to stick with iPhone, with its "it just works" usability. That sort of slickness is cool, but ultimately just not as important to me.
- The only area where the iPhone seems to be superior is number of apps and games. I researched the former, and all of my key apps are available now or in beta for android. As for the latter, I don't really play games on my phone.