Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Nature of the Lost Island

This theory came to me in a dream a couple of nights back after a night of particularly vivid dreams that were prompted by an unusually spicy Mexican dinner. It is not a complete theory of the show, just a theory on the nature of the island.

My dreams are always stream-of-consciousness and never involve a linear time line or narrative structure (sounds like Lost, right?). Suffice it to say that I was on the island myself, and I was living out the Season 5 finale as an observer. Then, of course, in my dream I saw what happened next. At that point everything became too psychedelic for me to adequately describe in this post. There was a giant drain involved with water flowing down and a set of hands glowing white...

Anyway, my theory is that some ancient (alien?) civilization wanted to protect itself from some other civilization (Jacob vs. that other guy (Esau?))and concocted this energy device to essentially "cloak" a small land mass. The cloaking effect involved burying/embedding electromagnetic energy masses throughout the island. Prior to this, the island itself is unremarkable except for its remoteness. The cloaking device had the side effect of giving the island and its inhabitants some of its more unusual healing/time travel/hallucinogenic/teleportation properties. Over the years, the bomb detonation, the subsequent failure to press the button, general system degradation, and the "moving" of the island has taken its toll on the cloaking system.

In my dream, the cloaking system simply fails. The island is visible to the outside world, though it (and our heroes) maintain many of its strange properties since not all of the device is destroyed by the detonation. Because the destruction of the device was incomplete, our heroes will have some strange experiences, making their season 6 mission clear--destroy the rest of the energy devices so life can return to normal.

As is typical with dreams for me, this all seemed clearer when I woke up than it does now as I try to explain this post. I'm also no Lost scholar, so I am sure that there are myriad reasons why my theory can't possibly be true (it doesn't explain the smoke monster, for one). I guess I'll have to order extra habneros next time and keep my laptop powered up on my nightstand.

No comments:

Post a Comment