Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dollhouse First Impressions

In case you missed it, Joss Whedon's new series "Dollhouse" debuted last week. It takes place in current or near future, where this shadowy organization wipes clean the personalities of people and imprints them with another personality for "engagements."

It does seem promising, but for fans of Whedon's other whimsy-infused work (Angel, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog) it may come across as more serious--JJ Abrams type show. It will be interesting to see whether he'll continue playing this one straight like an Alias or a Lost. I have to tell you, I never really liked the comic elements of his shows--it generally seemed forced. For example, "Mal" on Firefly seemed to be this great leader and a bit of a buffoon at the same time. It bothered me. I liked that touch in Dr. Horrible, though, but that was primarily a comedic production.

Though I loved the first episode, I'm curious about Dollhouse because it seems like we're going to have a hard time rooting for the main character, since we never really get to know her because she only is shown to us with an imprinted personality. The first episode did allude to her having memories return to her and the show may end up employing flashbacks. Regardless, I love the concept. I love the idea of rooting for her, and rooting against her handlers, but maybe rooting for her handlers in some cases. Should prove interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment