Thursday, January 22, 2009

Twittering Lost

MILD SPOLIER ALERT! I you haven't watched the season premiere of Lost, do not read any further!
=========================
So I was definitely geared up to watch the Season premiere of Lost last night. When my Lost-watching buddy bailed out at the last minute, rather than watching alone, I decided to watch with the Twitter universe. I'm writing this post about that experience. My impressions of the show itself will be in a later post...

I started with Twitter Search and searched for the standard Twitter tagging convention #Lost. That gave me some great tweets. But then someone posted a tweet about following Lost posts on Twitter in chat form via Tweetchat. Of course I had to check it out. I am really glad that I did. Tweetchat essentially creates a live chatroom (no manual refresh required) for you based on the tag of your interest. One great feature is that you can post your own tweets from tweetchat and they are automatically appended with the appropriate tag. I retweeted some of my favorite tweets of the night as they were happening, and I have listed those tweets here....

  • @shortie And I just realized all the wispered voices they hear in the jungle are themselves through time. My therory #lost
  • @brownpau Neil, you're fired. #lost LOL
  • @bashen weekend at sayid's. #Lost LOL
  • @movingsideways "My name is #Lost and I am here to rock your face off with timespace awesomeness. Would you care to see my pamphlet?"
Tweetchat was great. I felt like I was sharing the experience with some of the most rabid fans out there. Fantastic! I loved hearing the back and forth banter. I had two problems with the experience, though.

First, I watched on the East coast. I feel bad for the folks using the same service in time zones where Lost was airing later who may have read some unwanted spoilers. Tweetchat would be well served to add an optional time zone filter.

Secondly, I found it distracting. I was obviously very much into watching Lost, but the running commentary was also compelling and often pulled my attention away from the show. In the end, I wasn't able to dedicate my attention adequately to either. That's just my own limitation. I'll probably watch last night's premiere again without the distraction, and next time I'll try to discipline myself to only twitter during commercials.

Yes, there will be a next time. Go Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment