Thursday, January 15, 2009

To iPhone or not to iPhone (Yet)?

My dreams have come true, but of course things are never so simple.

My employer has finally decided to support the iPhone. Hooray! You can imagine the moment I heard the news I was on my way to the closest AT&T store, ready to turn in my Blackberry. I was, except that I encountered the age old problem when purchasing electronics or computers. Will the item that I purchase today be obsolete tomorrow? In the case of the iPhone, I am in love except that I am really hating the 16GB maximum capacity. I was ready to live with that limitation, but then I noticed that some predicted as early as September that Apple would be releasing a 32 GB model at Macworld or by the end of January.

Well, Macworld has come and gone without a 32 GB iPhone announcement, but the end of January is only a couple of weeks away. I am not surprised about the lack of an announcement--the Macworld keynote is better served by more dramatic announcements than simple memory capacity upgrades. With Steve Job's recent announcement that he is taking a medical leave, the time seems ripe to make another couple of announcements, if only to reassure folks and offset a general feeling among Apple freaks and industry analysts that the sky is falling. But it's not like Apple planned for this leave--they may simply not have anything dramatic announcement to make in the immediate pipeline.

If the end of January announcement is true or even a couple of weeks off, it is obviously worth waiting. Of course, what usually happens is that these rumors turn out to be false or at least timed inaccurately. I believe that Apple will offer a 32 GB at some point, but it could be June, October, December, or longer. At a certain point it becomes not worth waiting.

So what to do? Advice is welcomed. I'll keep you posted on my decision.

1 comment:

upyernoz said...

just get one. i have a 1st generation caveman era iphone and i still love it.

basically everything goes out of date the moment you leave the store. unless you want to spend an extraordinary amount of money constantly upgrading, having a top-of-the-line gadget is a fleeting thing. you might as well accept it and realize that the iphone will still do all the stuff that you originally got it for, even when there is a better one out there.

Post a Comment